Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Bangkok Riots Continue

This is truly sad to see.

A man and a woman were killed and 358 other people injured during violent clashes between police and supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) yesterday, according to the Public Health Ministry.

The injured were being treated at BMA Medical College and the Vajira, Central, Chulalongkorn, King Mongkut, Siriraj, Ramathibodi, Rajavithi and Police hospitals. Ten were in serious condition with six having lost limbs.

A military forensic source said a man who lost a leg had it blown off by a ping-pong bomb in his pocket.

Deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-Gen Jakthip Chaijinda said the loss of limbs was unlikely to have been caused by police tear gas canisters, but rather by explosive devices.
The first death yesterday was a man whose dismembered body was found thrown from a white Jeep Cherokee that had exploded. The jeep had been parked in front of the Chart Thai party headquarters on Sukhothai road, Dusit police said.

Ramathibodi hospital's forensic department identified the victim as a man aged 40 to 50, department chief, Pol Gen Wicharn Priewnim said.

Chairat Ngamjit, a PAD supporter from Nakhon Ratchasima, told police the jeep belonged to his son and he had driven it to the rally with his wife. He did not know the dead man.

The second death involved a woman in her 20s, identified as Angkhana Radappanyawut. She was pronounced dead at Ramathibodi hospital after sustaining serious chest injuries, according to hospital officials.

Assoc Prof Dr Than Supattharaphan, the hospital director, said most of the 74 people at Ramathibodi hospital were being treated for exposure to tear gas.

Among the wounded police officers, two were stabbed. One, Pol Snr Sgt-Maj Thaweep Klanniam, was struck with the sharpened end of a flag pole in the torso. The pole severed his lung.

Four other police officers were shot by PAD supporters, deputy Metropolitan Police chief Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay Nimmano said. One was shot in his chest, one in the collarbone, one in the neck and the other in his right hand. They were rushed to Vajira and Chulalongkorn hospitals.
Another policeman suffered broken legs after being hit by a car driven by a PAD supporter.

The sixth clash since yesterday morning erupted last night at the Metropolitan Police


The confrontation started at 10.20pm when PAD demonstrators threw bottles into the police compound, prompting the police to retaliate by firing tear gas into the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment